Wednesday 8 August 2012

Day 2 - Sturgis


Slow start to the day as we had a late night down town but got away about 9 am and went to Devils Peak.  This big piece of rock is worth the ride.  With big rolling plains then into mountain country with some spectacular views.  If you have watched Close Encounters  the movie you will know what I am talking about.  One of the highlights of the trip (another sight of the list ).

Came back to Spearfish and the guys carried on to Deadwood but I had to get back to Sturgis to get my tattoo.  2 hours later I am one happy wee camper - it looks good!  Even Mark was surprised by the detail so now have 2 tattoos one for my 50th birthday now this one.

Walking around the camping ground (ok we are in the bar, have I mentioned how hot it is here) people just come up to you and start talking as they all know we are from NZ.  Everyone and I mean everyone mentions the Burt Munro movie.   They loved it and are very interested in our country.  ILT and Venture Southland should set up a booth here advertising NZ - lot of potential tourists (ok am hinting to come over and man it).

5 more observations of Sturgis.

1. A lot of ladies are into riding their own bike and they love these bikes more than their partners.  Decisions bike/partner, bike/partner bike/partner.  What the hell the bike.  It doesn't snore, cheaper to look after, doesn't talk back and reliable.

2. Beards/mustaches.  I have never seen so many of them in my life.  Just about everyone has one and you want to see the guys.

3. Clothing, ladies in their 50s plus need to get friends that can tell them your body does not look good wearing a G string and bikini top down the street.  I will be in therapy for months when I get back.


4. The more expensive your bike is - the younger the lady on your arm is.

5. How come most of the big guys have smaller, younger attractive girlfriends (being diplomatic when I use the word big).
Anyway today was a chill out day.  Not much driving, bit of shopping, purchased some chaps (last time I wore these was 19 and riding in rodeos but that is another story).  Arrived back in camp and came off my bike OMG you all cry out but am ok.  No damage to the bike or me. Hit a loose piece of gravel outside the Bar. Was the 3rd person today same spot.  3 ladies came over and helped get bike up and were very concerned.  Mark was watching and sat there on his bike pissing himself laughing and taking photos.

Oh think we got our first ticket today doing U turn on double yellow lines, time will tell.

Leaving tomorrow don't know where to will keep you all informed.

Pics of the tattoo later in the week.





Location:Sturgis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.