Saturday 25 August 2012

Happy Birthday Dad


Well the bucket list is getting smaller and smaller.  Arrived in San Fran about noon.  Checked in and caught train into the city. 

I had a very good ride this morning from Merced but still not keen on riding on these 6 lane freeways especially when all I was wearing were boots, jeans and a light tee shirt with my small type crash helmet.  So not much protection if I came off.  Mental note: wear bike jacket and good helmet when on freeways.  I  am now using modern technology iPad & GPS.  At night plan route on iPad write down roads etc like 120 on to 135 then programme GPS.  Finding things a bit easier.

Into the city on a train than caught cable car down to the bay.  Had a seafood lunch, bit of a look around then took a ferry trip round the bay.  Awesome, head phones gave a running commentary on the sights etc then on to pier 39 which is very touristy but was enjoyable.  People everywhere.  About 8 pm hopped on a train back to motel.

Bit hungry at this stage so ended up in bar across the street.  20 pool tables, band playing about, 150 customers and the place was humming so had a nice steak (small portion) a couple of Buds (large) now bed time.

Napa Valley tomorrow - been dreaming of this for years.  God that list is getting smaller and smaller.  Have to rewrite another one when I get home.

This is a picture of a water massage bed.  In this shop they had 6 of these.  $20.00 for 10 minutes.  They lift the lid like a sun bed you hop in face down, lid closes and a plastic sheet covers you then theses jets of water start at your neck then move down to your toes.  Back and forth, different pressures etc, must have been good, lots of people waiting for a turn.

Just going to say a big hi to my dad.  He is 86 and has been following this at my sisters.  They say you grow up to be like your parents which I don't mind.  I think I get my sense of adventure and my personality from dad.  In his younger day he did mountaineering, a bit of traveling (only in NZ) but it's his zest for life which I think I have inherited.  Love you dad, see in a couple of weeks (ps don't spend that inheritance while I am away)!


Alcatraz in San Fran bay.

Water massage bed.



Location:San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.